SUBMIT TO GHOST CITY REVIEW
Ghost City Review welcomes submissions of poems, short stories, flash fiction, personal essays, adventure narratives, journal entries, short plays, monologues, translations, photographs, oil paintings, watercolors, sculptures, dioramas…. pretty much anything you can think of. We want to see it all. Show us what you’ve created. We’re looking for new work from both emerging and established authors and artists. To get an idea of what kind of work we tend to publish, look through our previous volumes (see sidebar) and decide whether your work would be a good fit. We do not believe in silent rejections, so you're sure to receive a response to all submissions. Our response time is around 1 - 3 months, but we usually get to the submissions sooner. If you don't hear from us within 3 months, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ghost City acquires first publication rights, but you, the writer, still own your work. What this means is that we hold the publication rights for 30 days after you work is posted online. After 30 days, you are free to publish and submit your work elsewhere. We kindly ask for acknowledgment for subsequent reprints of your work.
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide payment for publication in Ghost City Review. One of our long term goals is to reach that point.
- We DO NOT accept any work that has been previously published in a literary & arts journal or on an online blog. This does not include your personal blogs and social media sites, however, we do ask that you take the work down before you submit it to us for consideration.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions. We even encourage them and wish you luck in getting your work published, but please notify our editors of this when submitting. Also be sure to immediately notify us if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
- We do ask that you limit your submissions to three pieces per submission. If you wish, these can be works from three different mediums (i.e., a poem, a short story, and a watercolor painting).
- Ghost City Review runs on a rolling submissions schedule, so feel free to submit your work at any time. We usually cut off submissions several weeks before the release of each issue. Anything not sent in time will be considered for the following month's release.
- Please include a short bio with your submission. There is no need for a formal cover letter, just a simple "hello friends!" will suffice.
- In the subject line of your email, please include your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME - PRIMARY SUBMISSION CATEGORY. For example: Smith, Joe - Poetry.
- POETRY: We accept submissions of up to three (3) poems per person per issue. Please submit your poems in a single Microsoft Word document. Please do not send PDFs.
- SHORT FICTION: We accept submissions of up to three (3) short fiction pieces per person per issue. Please submit your fiction in a single Microsoft Word document. Please do not send PDFs. Please do not exceed 2,000 words.
- FLASH FICTION: We accept submissions of up to five (5) flash pieces per person per issue. Please submit your work in a single Microsoft Word document. Please do not send PDFs.
- NON-FICTION: We accept submissions of up to three (3) non-fiction pieces per person per issue. Please submit your work in a single Microsoft Word document. Please do not send PDFs. Please do not exceed 2,000 words.
- ART: Submit up to three pieces as high quality JPGs.
- REVIEWS: Book Reviews should be between 600 and 1500 words in length. They must provide a critical analysis of the work, acknowledging where the work succeeds, and perhaps pointing out what the work might be lacking. Please submit no more than two (2) book reviews per submission period. Please submit your review(s) in a single Microsoft Word document. Please do not send PDFs. Additionally, please submit any accompanying images in high quality .jpg format.
- OTHER: Please feel free to submit anything that falls outside of the categories listed above. This might include journal entries, short plays, monologues, translations, etc. Be creative. We like this category.